Liveblog notes from WordCamp Lancaster PA 2019
The Future – Why the Open Web Matters – Aaron Campbell
At the very start, the web was open standards, focused on sharing information and being open to as many people as possible.
The internet is the single most effective information sharing tool in all of history.Aaron Campbell
The Internet is not the Future, it is right now. What can we do to make sure these systems never go from helping us to controlling us?
- Use open platforms.
- Spread the word
- Vote with your $$$
Help! I’m Behind on Gutenberg! – Beth Soderberg
How Can We Learn Difficult Things?
- Identify a concept
- Explain the concept
- Study the gaps
- Simplify explanation of the concept
Note: Repeat steps 2 and 3 until understanding has sunk in.
- Figure out what the new parts of the interface are
- Learn how to move blocks around and access their settings
- Familiarize with the standard blocks and their capabilities
- Start looking at plugins that might fill in the gaps you need
- What is the impact on plugins you already use
- Don’t experiment live
- Read the support documentation
- Go Gutenberg
- Learn how Gutenberg stores data
- Learn custom color pallettes
Developing Blocks Without React – Ashley Eberly
Block Filters: The Answer to Customizing Blocks Without Rolling Your Own – Paul Barthmaier
Block Filters allow you to extend or change the functionality of a block
Block Style Variations – provide alternative styles to existing blocks. Register & Unregister
How to Use WordPress to Build Your Nonprofit Website – Andy Stitt
It was so fun to run camera again. Shortly into the presentation, I realized I may have answered one of Andy’s questions while working at The Events Calendar.
From Template Tags to Twig: A Journey Through WordPress Templating – Russell Heimlich
How I Built My Online Courses Website using WordPress, WooCommerce, & LearnDash – Joe Casabona
- Metorik (reporting), Jilt (abandoned cart), AffiliateWP (affiliates)
- BeaverBuilder for landing pages
Intermediate Topics in WordPress Development – Aaron Jorbin
Working & Thriving Solo or as a Small Agency, a keynote panel featuring Beth Soderberg, Joe Howard, Lee Drozak, and Tara Claeys
- What are your motivators?
- What are your boundaries and time?