It’s Not About You: A Little Story About What Matters Most in Business is another fantastic book in the Go-Giver series by Bob Burg & John David Mann. The first book in the parable series, The Go-Giver: A Little Story About a Powerful Business Idea introduces us to The Five Laws of Stratospheric Success:
- The Law of Value – Your true worth is determined by how much more you give in value than you take in payment.
- The Law of Compensation – Your income is determined by how many people you serve and how well you serve them.
- The Law of Influence – Your influence is determined by how abundantly you place other people’s interests first.
- The Law of Authenticity – The most valuable gift you have to offer is yourself.
- The Law of Receptivity – The key to effective giving is to stay open to receiving.
The substance of influence is pull. . . not push.1
In this realization, it is important to spend some time personally reflecting on this. How do we conduct business? Do we bully our way into getting what we want? Are we focused on what works for us, and try to push everyone to that goal? Or – do we reach out and give room for others to pursue what is best for everyone? On a more personal note, what stood out most to me was the key:
Keep seeing in your mind’s eye where it is you’re going, even when nobody else does. Especially when nobody else does.2
When forging a new path, not everyone “gets it”. By remaining true to myself, and putting others best interests first, success will surely come. Be sure to pick up your copy of this book. Kindle Audible Amazon. Until then – read the first chapter:
- Mann, John David; Burg, Bob (2011-09-20). It’s Not About You: A Little Story About What Matters Most in Business (Kindle Locations 1649-1650). Portfolio. Kindle Edition.
- Mann, John David; Burg, Bob (2011-09-20). It’s Not About You: A Little Story About What Matters Most in Business (Kindle Locations 1643-1644). Portfolio. Kindle Edition.